Friday, February 11, 2011

Quick Thought: Democracy in Tunisia and Egypt

I've avoided writing on the subject of the Tunisian and Egyptian uprisings for a number of reasons. One, I didn't want to speak to soon. It seemed prudent to let things sort themselves out and then reflect on them after. Second, I honestly haven't had the time to follow the issue very closely.

But, a professor of mine recently made a remark: "The tunisian and egyptian uprisings seem to have vindicated the Bush foreign policy of supporting democracy in the Middle East. Would these event have occurred had America not taken the stance it had leading to the Iraq war? Would they have been successful any other way?"

Its an interesting question. I'm not one to support many things George W. Bush advocated. But, did the Bush doctrine have an inevitably positive effect on the political climate in the Middle East? I'm not sure yet, so I will leave that question to you. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment